Im Torn

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Warrior Prayers...Day Twenty


Prayers for Day Twenty

I pray each night that at an early age Wake will recognize his need for a Savior and that he would put all of his faith in the finished work of Christ on the cross.  How I wish that I could make this decision for him!

But I can’t.  

As Charles Spurgeon taught parents in his book Come Ye Children: “We cannot force truth upon men, but we can make our own teaching clear and decided, and make our lives consistent therewith…To be prepared for the coming conflict, we have only to preach the gospel, and to live the gospel; and also to take care that we teach the children the Word of the Lord.”
 
I must tell my children the good news…my own “amazing grace” story of Jesus saving a “wretch like me”.  My responsibility to my children is likened to that of Timothy’s to the church at Ephesus: “…preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching.(2 Timothy 4:2)

I must live out the Gospel.  I need to show my children that to obey is better than sacrifice”.  (1 Samuel 15:22)  I need to show the love of Christ to my family, friends, neighbors and the nations.  I must “not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of [my] mind, that by testing [I] may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” (Romans 12:2)

I must teach my children the Word of God.  In his letter to young Timothy, Paul encourages him to continue in the practice of studying Scripture, as he was taught by his mother & grandmother:  “But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. (2 Timothy 3:14-15)

This is our noble calling as mothers.  No PTA office, no ministry leadership role, no career, no tennis team, nothing is as important as introducing our children to the God of the Bible, the Holy One of Israel.  Whether we work or stay at home, are single, married or divorced, have one child or seven…this is our duty, our glorious assignment.

“Mothers, the godly training of your offspring is your first and most pressing duty. Christian women, by teaching children the Holy Scriptures, are as much fulfilling their part for the Lord, as Moses in judging Israel, or Solomon in building the temple.” –Charles Spurgeon

Commit to praying the following prayers for your sons or grandsons today.

Salvation

May __________ confess with his mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in his heart that God raised Him from the dead, and be saved (Romans 10:9).

May __________be saved by grace through faith. Not of his own doing; but the gift of God (Ephesians 2:8).

May __________believe in the God who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of His own purpose and grace, which He gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began (2 Timothy 1:9).

May __________fear not, stand firm, and see the salvation of the LORD, which He will work for him today (Exodus 14:13).

May the LORD be __________'s light and his salvation; whom shall he fear? May the LORD be the stronghold of his life; of whom shall he be afraid? (Psalm 27:1).

May __________take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God (Ephesians 6:17).

May __________work out his own salvation with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:12).

May __________be guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time (1 Peter 1:5).

Lord, make Your face shine on __________; save him in Your steadfast love (Psalm 31:16).

No comments: